Yesterday I watched a discussion on TV about the need to establish an animal police in Romania. Romania has a law referring to animals' protection and many associations and organizations for animals' protection, but I think that the animal police would help them all to better implement their goals.
I think it's an important step to make because someone has to take care of those who can't protect themselves. I watched on Animal Planet about the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), they are doing really great things protecting and taking care of animals' well being. I found the Universal declaration of the animals' rights and it says, among others:
- All animals have equal right of existence in the frame of the biological equilibrium.
- Each animal life deserves respect.
- No animal may be subject to bad treatment or cruelties. If killing an animal is necessary, this must be realized immediately, without pain or creation of fear. The dead animal must be treated with respect.
- The wild animal has the right to live and procreate in his natural environment.
- The animal which is dependent on the human being has the right on support and on decent care. Performances, spectacles, films which use animals must also respect their dignity and may not contain violence.
- Tests on animals which involve physical or psychological pain are in violation with the rights of the animal.
- Each deed which causes the unnecessary death of animal and each decision which leads hereto, constitutes a crime against life
- The education and public schooling must lead the man, from his childhood, to observe, to understand and to respect animals.
My opinion is that it's important to build an awareness about the fact that animals have rights and they should be protected and not abused. Parents, and later teachers, should teach children about the necessity of respecting animals.
You know how family is important in forming someone's personality. For example, once I was traveling by train and I stepped out in the hallway to stretch a bit. Next to me was some little boy with his father. The boy was drinking some juice and when he finished he asked his father what to do now with the empty bottle. His father told him to throw it out of a window :awww:
Now what about people who don't love animals or people who think there are many more important things that should concern society. If the animals on the streets (dogs, cats) are placed in shelters and sterilized, they'll hopefully be adopted. I think we would feel more safe when we are outside, walking.